mnb

mnb
<3

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

the meeting

April 17, 2013 in Stamford Connecticut.  Serving as missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saint in New York, New York.

I had been out in the field for 6 weeks when I met Elder Delahunty.  It was his very first day in the field.  We were called to serve in the same ward (and missionary district) in Stamford Connecticut.  A ward member had invited all 8 missionaries in the ward over to have dinner and to teach a lesson to one of their less active friends.  I would be lying if I said I remembered anything about Mike on this day.  {He claims that he noticed me and thought I was cute, and that it took weeks for me to give him the time of day.}


About a month later, the Bishopric asked us to sing a song in sacrament meeting.  We got together to practice, and ended up chatting a little bit more than actually practicing.  I was seated next to Mike as we "practiced" the song, I remember him telling me he was the oldest of 8 children, talking about his love for the outdoors- especially 4 wheeling, and his history as a wrestler. This was my first remembered glimpse into his pure heart. (which is one of the things I love most about Michael, his heart is so pure)  Leaving that conversation I had the desire to get to know him more and develop a friendship.  We served together for a total of 12 weeks in Stamford rubbing shoulders very frequently until I got transferred.  I didn't see or hear from him for about 8 months.


On February 6, 2014 I was transferred to Harlem.  That morning I was informed that I would be returning home due to a health emergency that needed immediate attention.  Elder Delahunty and Elder Reedy came to help my companion and I take my luggage from the transfer meeting back to our area in Harlem where I would be serving in the same ward as Mike once again. Unfortunately my return home took place the following day, the 7th of February.  So I only had about two hours that I spent with Mike that day.  I tried to tell him I was leaving, but there was a miscommunication/ misunderstanding.  5 days after returning home, a Wednesday (P-Day for the NYNYNM) Elder Delahunty sent me an email.  That email was the first of many emails that we would share over the next 12 months.



Confession- I was not a great writer.  Sometimes I wouldn't respond to an email for weeks. Other times we would talk every week.

Micheal returned home February 19, 2015 and contacted me via facebook messenger a few days after.  We began talking and flirting and when he finally worked up the courage to ask me out- I left on vacation for a week and half.  We FB messaged for about a week until he asked for my number.  My trip to Hawaii was full of texts and late night phone calls for hours (Mike would literally stay up all night to talk with me because of the time difference)

I fell in love with him as we talked on the phone every night. Talking has always been one of the strengths in our relationship.  I will always remember looking at the starry hawaiian skies as I fell in love with Mike.  We often refer to this time as our cyber dating phase! haha!  One night, we had been talking on the phone for about 3 hours. Yes 180 minutes.  It was like 5 am in utah and before hanging up Michael told me he loved me.  It scared me out of my mind for so many reasons, but I couldn't help but smile.  I knew I loved him too.

lots of love,
Brookeydee

No comments:

Post a Comment